Custom Search

Tuesday 29 December 2009

Kate Wins Exercise Claim news


Kate Winslet has won £25,000 in libel damages from a national newspaper.

The Daily Mail claimed that Kate lied about her exercise routine.

The Oscar-winning actress sued over an article printed in January entitled 'Should Kate Winslet win an Oscar for the world's most irritating actress?'.

Through a statement issued by her lawyers, Kate said: "I am delighted that the Mail have apologised for making false allegations about me.

"I was particularly upset to be acccused of lying about my exercise regime and felt that I had a responsibilitiy to request an apology in order to demonstrate my commitment to the views that I have always expressed about body issues, including diet and exercise.

"I strongly believe that women should be encouraged to accept themselves as they are, so to suggest that I was lying was an unacceptable accusation of hypocrisy."

Kate's lawyer told the High Court in London that the story was offensive.

The newspaper accepted that Kate hadn't lied about how much she exercised and published an apology in September, and agreed to pay damages and costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment